Newsletter March 5-9, 2018
Week in Review
Notes and Reminders
- Thanks to Maddie’s family for the delicious snack this week!
- To ensure the safety of the children in our class, we need your authorization if anyone other than yourself will pick up your child from school. If you make arrangements with another parent in the class to pick up your child, please make sure that you leave a note in the sign-in book or that they are on your authorized list. You can also add ongoing or one-time authorization via email, voicemail or text. Please see the parent handbook regarding pick up procedures and associated fees.
- Beaumont Middle School will participate in the March 14th National School Walkout for gun legislation and school safety. Pre-k will not be participating in this event. The way the content will be presented amongst the middle schoolers is not appropriate for Pre-K children.
- The next letter of our Alphabet Study will be letter Uu.
- The next Person of the Week will be Maddie
Monday: We kicked off art week by exploring action painting in the style of Jackson Pollock. We read Action Jackson and looked at examples of this style, then went outside with an 8×4 canvas to try it out ourselves! Using a variety of media we dripped, threw, flung, and splattered paint. We also incorporated some handprints the same way Pollock did in the base work of Number 1. The children had a great time experimenting with this vigorous style and our giant canvas turned out great!
Tuesday: The artist of the day was Monet. During curriculum groups, we read Monet’s Impressions with words and pictures by Claude Monet. We discussed Monet’s use of visible brush strokes to emphasize light and atmosphere, as well as the concept of painting en plein air (outdoors). We set up painting stations underneath the covered area outside and attempted to capture our impressions of the outdoors.
Wednesday: Today the artist we looked at was Wassily Kandinsky. In our small groups we read The Noisy Paint Box by Barb Rosenstock and talked about how Kandinsky used color to help express feeling. For our project, we used pastels to create our version of his painting Concentric Circles. We also experimented with using watercolor to paint still lifes.
Thursday: We continued working on our pastel Kandinsky drawings and experimented with charcoal drawing. We also read some great books about different artists and styles including Jake Makes a World by Sharifa Rhodes-Pitts, Radiant Child by Javaka Steptoe, and Come Look with Me by Gladys S. Blizzard.
Friday: Today we wrapped up the first week of our art theme with some fun optional projects and activities! We took out our chalk/whiteboard and paint easels to experience a new way of working, enjoyed trying our hand at a new floral still life with pastels, and created some multi-media collage. We are excited for next week and our upcoming artist topics!
Gym Time with Teacher Mike:
This week in the gym we explored our artistic side with some Self Portrait tag! We also exhibited some great poses during artist tag. Other games played were Watch My Back, My DVD Player, Cookie monster and other fitness and running games. The kids are showing a huge amount of progress in their physical abilities and awareness. It was a good week in the gym!
Have a sunny weekend! Don’t forget to “spring forward”.