Newsletter April 23-27 2018
Week in Review
Notes and Reminders
- Thanks to Freddie’s family for the delicious snack this week!
- Beaumont had a school wide Lockdown drill on Thursday. Pre-K did an awesome job!
- Please remember to send your child with a water bottle every day.
- We will be conducting lice checks over the next week or two. Please review our lice/nit policy for more information (we are a “no nit” program).
- Parent to parent conversations should be held outside of the classroom to limit disruption during drop off and pick up times. The lobby in front of the classroom is a great place to chat with other parents and arrange playdates. We ask that students and parents do not discuss playdates in the classroom as this often results in social exclusion behaviors among children this age.
Monday: In Morning Meeting we introduced River as the Person of the Week, and the letter Zz as the last letter of our weekly Alphabet Study. We also counted down to the last day of school with our Hundreds Chart. This week, we continued our Dinosaur unit. We spent the day discussing how long ago dinosaurs lived. For our project, we examined several dinosaurs, colored them in, and placed them on a timeline under one of three time periods: Triassic, Jurassic, or Cretaceous.
Tuesday: We read Dinosaurs Roar, Butterflies Soar, by Bob Barner and we talked about the butterflies and moths that were alive during the dinosaur period and how they survived to be cousins of some of the insects we see today. Students enjoyed the variety of dinosaur coloring sheets and some puzzle pages we had available. We also sang and danced to Dino-Pokey, and
Wednesday: Today we read How Big Were Dinosaurs? and started making paper mache dinosaur eggs. Students began by wrapping strips of newsprint that they dipped into the glue-solution to cover a balloon. The form will dry and harden and we will paint them with bright colors and add glitter.
Thursday: We read Dinosaur Countdown by Nicholas Oldland and Edwina The Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct by Mo Willems. Students continued working on their paper mache dinosaur eggs. We took advantage of the beautiful weather, and had an outdoor dance party in the afternoon! Students continued working on the paper mache project and did a wonderful job.
Friday: We wrapped up our two-week unit on dinosaurs. We continued working on painting and decorating our amazing dinosaur eggs! We had a special visit from Teacher Mir in the afternoon and he treated us to a magic show!
Gym Time with Teacher Mike:
This week we finished our Dino games with some Raptor Tag, T-Rex Tag, Four Corners Dino style, and Dino Nest. With the nice weather we also got to enjoy some field time and run around the bases. We sang Take Me Out to The Ball Game which was a great was for us to celebrate the sunshine!