Galaxy Room Week in Review
August 27- Aug 31, 2018
Notes and Reminders
● There will be no Pre-K Monday for Labor Day. See you Tuesday!
● Please remember that we are a nut-free program. We have several students with severe allergies to almonds, cashews, pistachios, and peanuts, so please double check that granola bars and other packaged items that you are sending for lunchtime do not contain any nut products. Seeds are a good source of protein and seed butters, like sunflower butter, are great alternatives! Soy butter is another great nut-free option!
● Please see the take-home sheet for our fun Life in a Bag project! We will begin sharing on Tuesday. We will begin talking about our theme All About Me.
● It is very helpful to label all lunch boxes and water bottles with your child’s first name and last initial. Water bottles can stay in the cubby for the week and go home on Friday. Also, lunch boxes are placed in the large tubs under the counter by the door.
● Please make sure that there is a weather appropriate change of clothes in your child’s cubby in case of accidents.
● Lastly, there is a sign-up sheet for snack located on the sign-in table. Please make sure you have signed up for two weeks of snack.
Monday: Happy First Week of School! We spent a lot of time getting to know each other through sharing, songs, and games! We sang several name songs to help us remember each other’s names, and found all the places around the room where the students’ name is posted. Students got familiar with the classroom, teachers and each other. Everything in our room has a place, and the students are becoming accustomed to where everything goes. In our small groups we read books about beginning school and friendship.
Tuesday: We continued talking about important school routines, safety, what school is like, and left lots of time to answer questions! We talked about “walking feet” in our classroom, voice levels (0-4) and where we use each one, and “peaceful play” at school. We learned started our calendar and weather and counting on the 100’s chart to track our days together at school.
Wednesday: Today we talked about hands are for helping. We talked about all the ways we can be helpful in the classroom, like cleaning up after ourselves both with play materials, and messes. We are encouraging self-sufficiency and independence in Pre-K as well as respecting the rules and each other. Today students practiced scissor skills, and glued their cut out pieces onto another piece of paper. We learned the rules be safe, be a friend and be a helper.
Thursday: We continued talking about school safety and fire drills in particular. A regular part of time at school will be fire drills, lockdown drills, lock-in drills, and earthquake drills. We will send out the PPS protocol on drills so families know what the procedures are and have a chance to discuss them at home!
Friday: We wrapped up our week with more fun songs, games, and choices. We explored play dough, watercolor painting, and rice in the sensory table. It seems like our class is really finding a good flow of energy and confidence, and we are so excited to start our next week together. Students did a great job during our fire drill! Enjoy the long weekend!
Thanks for all the positive support in assisting us with a successful school year!